Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Peppermint Patty Surprise Bars!!

I know, I know, I FINALLY got around to posting the first recipe :) This is one of my favorites. I'm a big fan of mint, but I know not everyone is - don't worry, not all of the future recipes will have mint in them! I came across these in a GL magazine back when I used to get those. I've made these bars a few times and would make them again right now if I wasn't trying to be healthy ... enjoy!

Ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
11/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp kosher salt (I just used regular salt)
12 oz chocolate chunks
12 oz bag York Peppermint Patties
makes 12 bars

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with foil and coat with cooking spray.
2. Use an electric mixer to beat butter and sugars until light and creamy. Add eggs and vanilla, beat until well combined. In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Slowly add to the wet ingredients, mixing until just incorporated. Stir in chocolate chunks. 
3. Spoon half of the cookie dough mixture into the prepared pan and push evenly to all sides. Place the unwrapped peppermint patties in a single layer over the dough, then cover with the remaining half of the cookie dough, pressing to flatten it. Bake for 38-45 minutes or until baked through. Cool completely before cutting.

P.S. On a totally random note, I just discovered this band called Augustana and I love their slow music. My favorite songs are "Boston," "Sunday Best," "Hey Now," "Sweet and Low," and "I Still Ain't Over You."

1 comment: